Department of Watershed Management Participates in Third Annual Imagine a Day Without Water Campaign to Raise Awareness About the Value of Water
ATLANTA – The Department of Watershed Management will kick-off and host a week of events for the third annual Imagine a Day Without Water campaign, a nationwide day of education and advocacy about the value of water.
Led by the Value of Water Campaign, hundreds of organizations across the country will host events aimed at raising awareness about the crucial need for investment in our nation’s water infrastructure to ensure that no American community is left without safe and reliable water.
“The Department of Watershed Management is dedicated to investing in water and wastewater infrastructure because losing water for just one day would cost the Atlanta economy $100 million,” said Commissioner Kishia L. Powell. “We are committed to responsibly utilizing funding and innovation to protect and restore our critical water infrastructure.”
Drought, flooding, and climate change are stressing water and wastewater systems. While many of these challenges are regionally-specific and will require locally-driven solutions, reinvestment in our water must be a national priority. Imagine a Day Without Water tells the stories of the challenges we face when our water infrastructure fails, but also of the innovative solutions being implemented in communities nationwide.
Watershed Management will host several activities to highlight the critical important of reliable access to clean water.
MONDAY, OCTOBER 9
Announcement of Imagine a Day without Water Art Contest Winner – Check @atlwatershed on social media to find out the winner!
Join the DWM team outside at 72 Marietta Street (10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.) for Sidewalk Trivia.
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 10
Customer Appreciation Day at City Hall, 55 Trinity Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30303 (10 a.m. – Noon)
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 11
– DWM Blue Out Day – Wear blue, take a photo and post on social media using #ValueWater and #ATLValuesWater.
– Hemphill Water Treatment Plant Tour (10 a.m. – Noon) – Open to the public.
– Imagine (and See) A Day Without Water – City Hall and Corporate partners such as The Center for Civil and Human Rights, The Fernbank Museum, Georgia State University and more will participate in the day by turning off aesthetic water features beginning Wednesday, October 11 at 6 a.m. – Thursday, October 12 at 6 p.m.
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 12
– Join the DWM team outside at 72 Marietta Street (7:45 a.m.) for complimentary coffee provided by Chick-fil-A while supplies.
– MEDIA EVENT – Water Supply Program Tour (Invitation Only)
Former Bellwood Quarry *closest landmark is Legendary Events
901 Lois Street NW
Atlanta, Georgia 30318
For more information on Imagine a Day without Water, please visit http://bit.ly/ADayWithoutWaterATL.
Editor’s Note: For media inquiries or to RSVP for the Quarry Tour, please contact Rukiya Campbell, Director of Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org or 678-457-8921.